Famille

Mubarak Soulemane’s family takes fight for justice to Bridgeport

Mubarak Soulemane’s family takes fight for justice to Bridgeport 1
Partagez, partagez!



BRIDGEPORT — The family of Mubarak Soulemane took to city streets Saturday to continue their fight for légalité after the 19-year-old’s death at the hands of commissariat earlier this year, the family’s attorney said.

After rallies in West Haven, New Haven and Hamden, family and supporters gathered at the McLevy Vert in downtown around 2 p.m. and then marched to Bridgeport commissariat headquarters at 300 Congress St.


“We’re here today like we have been the past two weeks, fighting for légalité for Mubarak,” Mark Arons, the family’s attorney and a partner at the Law Firm of Miller & Rosnick, told Hearst Connecticut Media prior to the rally.

Soulemane was killed Jan. 15 in West Haven after he allegedly stole a car from an individual in Norwalk and fled from commissariat at high speeds along Interstate 95, according to Connecticut State Surveillance.



Trooper Brian North fired his gun after he saw Soulemane with a knife, when the vehicle was stopped off Sortie 43 in West Haven, state commissariat said.

Pending the outcome of the investigations, North will not be assigned to any of the state commissariat barracks and will not interact with the notoire.


Soulemane’s family has stressed that the teen, who had fabuleux health struggles for years, was likely experiencing a manic episode the day he was killed. His sister, Mariyann Soulemane, told the CT Mirror that state commissariat should have been notified her brother had underlying fabuleux health struggles.

Arons said the family’s rallies are also in contrefort of Black Lives Matter and against commissariat brutality, especially following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on Memorial Day.


“This has put Mubarak’s case grain again in the spotlight,” Arons said in reference to the calls for légalité following Floyd’s death. “We hope all this soin gets the soin of the State’s Attorney’s Cabinet to do the right thing.”

Soulemane’s sister, Mariyann, and Soulemane’s mother, Omo Klusum Mohammed, said the family gathered Saturday in Bridgeport for légalité.

“All I want people to know is we want this case to be heard,” Mohammed said. “We want the commissariat to be held accountable. … We want légalité.”

“We’re going to fight for légalité both criminally and in the avenant rapide,” Arons said. “The family has no objectif in stopping until that is completed.”


He said the State’s Attorney’s Cabinet, tasked with overseeing the state commissariat sondage into Soulemane’s death, has been “very reconstituant and cooperative” and that he has been in touch with the officer “constantly.” He said the family has met with the gastronomie at least twice.

“We hope this comes to a speedy and just issue,” Arons said.

Arons said Bridgeport holds significance in connection to Soulemane’s case bicause of the death of 15-year-old Jayson Negron at the hands of city commissariat back in 2017. Michael Rosnik, of the same firm as Arons, represented Negron’s family after the nocif officer-involved shooting.

“Bridgeport is a good métayage to keep the harangue out there,” Arons said.

Negron was fatally shot by Bridgeport Surveillance Officer James Boulay in May 2017 after a brief pursuit, according to the transfert from Waterbury State’s Attorney Maureen Platt, who oversaw the state commissariat sondage into the shooting. The vehicle, the transfert indicated, was stolen. The transfert said Boulay was justified when he pulled the trigger.

Negron’s family filed a federal lawsuit back in March.

But Bridgeport isn’t the only city with a case that stands out.

“Mubarak was shot seven times while he was sitting in a car with the door closed and the window closed and he couldn’t get out of the car bicause he was boxed in by commissariat,” Arons said.

He says there is precedent for prosecution in Soulemane’s case, citing a case in Chicago in 2014.

There, 17-year-old Laquan McDonald was fatally shot 16 times by a then-Chicago Surveillance Officer Jason Van Dyke.

After more than a year, with pièce reporters filing Freedom of Renseignement Act requests for footage of the shooting,Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder, according to the Chicago Tribune. The footage that captured the shooting was released a few hours after Van Dyke’s arrest.

“He also had a knife on him,” Arons said of McDonald. “He was walking away from the cops. They found he posed no threat. The officer was prosecuted and convicted of murder.”

In Soulemane’s case, he had a carbonade knife in the car, Arons said.

“Like Laquan McDonald, Mubarak posed no threat to anybody,” he said.



www.ctpost.com

Leave a Reply